Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Friday, October 18, 2013

Cloud of Witnesses




Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
-Hebrews 12:1

 
            Am I running in an empty arena, the echoes of my footsteps clearing out the cobwebs? Does my breath sound labored to my ears only? Do I dare keep my pace if there is no one to push me forward? I am lagging, my shoes slipping against the pavement, brain telling me I can go no farther.

            A figure catches my eye as I chase around the turn. She stands, watching me, counting my steps. I turn across the straightaway and see her face. It is kind. She lifts her mouth into a smile and I hear sweet words unfold into the air:

            “Keep pace, Dear One.”

            My legs pump beneath my body, buoyed by her encouragement. I continue on while she makes her way into the stands, taking a seat in the front row.

            I am moving quicker now, feeling light in my limbs. I finish my lap as another figure slips into the foreground. His strength is noticeable, softened by the tenderness of his clapping hands. He, too, has something to say.

            “Breathe, child. The air is sweet and your lungs are strong.”

            My head nods in acknowledgement, and I circle around while he walks to the first guest and sits beside her.

            My breathing is even, mind beautifully cleared. One by one, they trickle in, passing words and hope to me each turn I take. Soon one section is filled to capacity, then a second, a buzz building through the stands. They are cheering, slapping their hands in noisy jubilation, gazes trained on me. Through the electricity of the now filled stadium, I am shocked into new life.

            I start the last lap. The crowd erupts into an ear piercing plea for my finish. My feet are fast, eyes ahead, finding the prize just within reach.

            Half a lap to go. It’s madness in the stands. They are to their feet as I round the turn into the home stretch. My name begins somewhere from the top, flowing through the crowd like a rushing river. They believe in me. They believe I can do the impossible and succeed.

            In their voices there is hope. And I hear with an urgency that propels me closer and closer.

            Just a few more steps. One more push. Screams and cheers ignite. I have crossed the line. I have finished. And my heart fills with gratitude and overwhelming joy at the turnout who came to see me through, at the One who stands at the end of the track as I collapse in completion into His arms. His eyes are ablaze with the race results, and His smile stretches across the coliseum. When He speaks, His words wash over me like a much desired shower:

            “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

 
Prayer:
Father, let me run my race with precision, with perseverance and with passion. For the trail is scattered with temptation and roadblocks, and I do not want to stray off course. Thank You that You run with me, and that You send others through the course to cheer me on and encourage me in the life I live. May I run strong, and keep Your heart in my eyesight. Let me focus on my finish, and finding You smiling and pleased as I cross the last line. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment