Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Monday, May 27, 2013

The Perfect Gift

 
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
-James 1:17
 
            One of my absolute favorite things in the world is wrapping and giving presents. Especially for Christmas, where I nestle around the glowing tree that’s softly bathing the living room in gold, cream and evergreen. Piano carols and hymns slide from the stereo speakers, filling the room with soothing songs of the season. And around me, flames lick the wicks of winter scented candles.
 
            Each gift I carefully select the color and pattern of paper to wrap it in and try to cut as least crooked as possible (for me, that’s no easy task). I fold the ends over one another and crease the paper until they tuck crisply in a well wrapped package, taped down so no wayward pieces stick up. Then, I place the chosen label on the box and address it. And when it’s finished, I gently place it off to the side among the growing pile of presents I’ve already wrapped. In the lowlights of the Christmas tree it’s especially magical to see the colors shine off the paper.
 
            The gifts I wrap bring me great delight and send shivers under my skin. It’s the excitement of giving that launches my love. As the book or toy or clothing item are placed underneath the paper, I envision the recipient, see their heart all year round and watch their face unfold on Christmas morning when they open up what I’ve so lovingly tied together. For me, it’s about making the moment a little more special for them, to show my love and thankfulness at them being in my life. To watch eyes light up at the discovery that they’ve received a gift, and the anticipation of what lay under the wrapping, my heart smiles.
 
But more than the decoration, I love the giving. To place a gift in front of someone I love, watch them wonder at receiving something they weren’t expecting, and soak in their excitement once they’ve opened it, there is no greater satisfaction.
 
            For me, giving is my gift and I am glad to grace others with the outpouring that’s in my heart. And I ask for nothing in return, because their reaction is the only gift I need.
 
            However, there is one gift I am glad for. It isn’t large; kind of tiny, really. Soft, smooth, sweet to the scent. And the size, I can fit in my arms. Though the gift may be small, the cost is enormous. Priceless, actually. But it’s pretty perfect. And its value is eternal.
 
            It is the gift of salvation, God wrapped in flesh, covered in cloth and glory. Settled in the stomach of a virgin and born in a manger, next to donkeys, in the dark. Not the most glamorous arrival, no pretty bows or ribbon wound around His bed, but the glow of His ethereal face, sleeping in the arms of His mother, lit up the world. This tiny babe would grow to save our souls.
 
            Joy. Peace. Love. God is offering these gifts to you this year, through His Son Jesus Christ. If your heart longs for a warmth no layers of coats can cure, speak to Him in the stillness of your soul and unwrap the present that has been waiting for you since before time began. It’s a gift that has only gotten better with age. Try it on. See how it fits around your hope and fills you with that warmth you crave. And when you decide to keep it, look upon the Giver and offer Him up the most sincere thanks you’ve ever uttered. For He loves lavishing His gifts upon His children, and delights in seeing them accepted with eagerness and excitement.
 
            Get excited for the grace sitting underneath the tree of your heart, wrapped in wonder and ready to open.
 
Prayer:
Father God, thank You for this beautiful Christmas season. Thank You for the lights and the gifts and the warmth surrounding it. And most of all, thank You for the greatest gift of all- Jesus. Thank You for sending Him to walk this earth and save me from my sins. I want to accept this free and wondrous gift that You so eagerly offer. Let me take it and wrap it tenderly around my heart, and be filled with joy from receiving Your salvation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment