Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Monday, October 24, 2011

Rest With Me




Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
-Isaiah 40:30-31



Tonight I just want to be with You.

Turn off the lights. Turn down the noise streaming through my airwaves. Soothe my body, loosen the knots I have wound around my spine.

Rest with me in this silence, flowing slowly like a river on a lazy September afternoon. Somehow I have twirled myself into a tizzy, chasing after shiny wrappers of earthly pleasures that unravel to bland, empty promises. Funny how that happens. How easily my heart strays.

I am wired with fickle feelings. I mean what I say but swiftly slip to my own interpretations. Father, calm me. Sweep my eyes closed and lean my head against Your chest.

For I am tired and You offer me a feather bed to lay my burdens. You offer it eagerly and wish for nothing more than me to accept.

I am so weary from running around with my own thoughts, keeping them to myself and stubbornly refusing to share.

Your yoke is light.

Your arms are waiting.

Your breath is warm against my cheek.

I lean in and release my life, yet again, into Your rejuvenating embrace.


Prayer:
How many times can I roll around this sea of my own selfish ambitions? How long can You continue to draw me to You, gently, softly, still needing me to be a part of You? Lord, I spin and circle and get myself nowhere. Tonight, I just need to rest in You. Thank You that You offer me Your arms and comfort, and for the stillness in my soul when I turn down everything but Your voice. Restore me, my Love. Refill my heart to rest in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment