Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Monday, October 3, 2011

Conflicting Colors




The Lord will guide you always.
-Isaiah 58:11



One Saturday afternoon, I decided to stop by a forest by my house. I have been meaning to venture in for a while but never made the time.

I parked my car and started forth on a wide path covered with scattered leaves. Tall, towering birch and oak trees stood surrounding me, their leaves the most vibrant yellows and soft greens. It was pretty close to perfect. All I needed was a walking stick and I was on my way through Middle Earth.

A few more yards into my journey, a pile of large logs presented themselves, and after looking them over, I found a nice, sturdy one with the least amount of moss and fungi. I pressed it into the ground, balanced my weight to test it out, and, when I found it satisfactory, carried myself across and continued on my way.

A tiny hill took me past the outskirts of the woods, and there I became covered in color. Sunlight gleamed through the canopy, casting prisms of rays through the burning leaves. Wind rustled through the forest, sending many leaves flying around me. I watched them dance to the ground, carpeting the path even thicker. This truly is God’s glory, I thought. Better yet, this is God Himself. I wandered into the cluster of this creation, winding through twists and admiring the fairy-like element. But I was so preoccupied with the beauty before me I hadn’t noticed the path taking a sharper incline and narrowing to only a few feet in width.

I came to a woods divided and realized I could see the street just down below, engines purring and racing by. The trees were less dressed, some barely holding a leaf to their branch. How quickly my beautiful elven woods had turned to a place I hardly recognized!

Isn’t this true of our faith, as well? Our eyes catch something golden and we make our way towards it, admiring the fleeting pleasures until we’re so deep in the woods of the world nothing looks familiar. We are drawn in to a camouflage beauty that stimulates for a while, until the true desires of our heart are emptied, dangling by one small string. How easy it is to walk deeper into the unknown and stray from God’s love!

I’m standing where the path cuts in two. Time passes. The shadows grow longer and I yearn for the calmness and beauty of my woods. But how do I get there? Do I continue as I was and hope I make a loop around? Or do I try the new path, the one leading back into the thickness of the trees and listen for the part inside of me that knows when I am getting close again? All I know is that the day is waning like the speckled leaves plummeting to the earth, and the deeper I get, the more surrounded in similar trails I am.

My eyes draw up and see the sun, peeking between the trees. Though it’s low, it still shimmers, still guides the trail before my feet.

Somehow, this comforts me, and I step with certainty and continue on my way.



Prayer:
I am so fleeting in my faith. I stray from Your love, Your word and Your grace to find pleasure in the things of this world that do not last. All that is gold will turn to rust, but You stay shining. Thank You that You still guide me, still lead me back to Your beautiful arms. You are gracious, and merciful beyond all reason. Let me stay on Your path. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment