Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Thursday, May 19, 2011

Be Bold





The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.
-Proverbs 28:1



I see God wherever I go, in whatever I do. He is with me, ever present, always aware of my struggles and joys. I feel Him like He is sitting right next to me, and I am constantly reminded of His relentless love for me. He is my confidant, my friend in whom I dish my deepest fears and desires. The whistle of the wind is His voice serenading me on a turbulent day. A sunset is His smile comforting my colorless sky. He is my all, my treasured triumph, and it is by His grace alone that I can come before Him as His child. I am forever grateful for His Son stepping up to bat for me, taking on my sins as His own, and allowing me a place in His Father’s kingdom.

Yet I find it most difficult to articulate this to others. I have a hope that never hungers, but when it comes to confessing why I am the way I am, I clam up. My throat tightens and my heart hammers beneath my rib cage. I can live my life to the fullest, my actions mirroring those of Christ. But to speak of the salvation freely offered to me and eagerly accepted? I may as well fill my mouth with cotton balls. There is a need in humanity to fill the void inside, and I know the missing piece. But no words escape my lips when I am presented with a perfect opportunity to express what makes me different.

Why? God does not call us to be timid; He calls us to be bold and believing. In this world, we will struggle. We will come up against those who don’t want to recognize His voice and mock us when we heed to His call. It is very easy to keep our mouths shut and avoid ridicule.

But there are others. Souls who yearn for comfort, crave the missing string that will tie their heart together. Maybe they’ve heard about God, believe He exists, but cannot grasp how personal and real He can be to them. Maybe they need to hear one line that sings to their echoing chambers, placed at the perfect time from the perfect person. Maybe that person is you or me.

Be bold. He will give you strength to speak. And He works in mysterious ways. Today could be the day someone’s life turns around, the day someone’s heart sings a new song. An everlasting song. Be brave, Beloved. A heart is throbbing, needing the restoring salve of a Savior.


Prayer:
Father, I love You. You are my Lord and You sent Your Son to save me. But I am afraid to speak out at times, afraid of stepping on toes and coming off too forward. Please empower me to be bold, be brave. Let Your light shine through not only my actions, but the words I say. Season them with salt, and do not let my cowardice of conversation stop You from speaking to someone who needs You desperately. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment