Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Monday, November 1, 2010

Our Great Romance




My lover spoke and said to me, “Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me.”
-Song of Songs 2:10


The other night I had the most amazing date. It didn’t quite start out that way, but boy, was it all worth it at the end of the evening!

We had decided to meet in the middle of the week so I could unwind from the unexpected events and twists in life bogging me down. On Wednesday morning, I awoke with such expectancy, looking forward to it all day, and every time I thought about him I wished to blink and have the evening upon me. I had told him I would be there at the end of the day, at our secret spot. Nothing was going to keep me from our meeting.

At 5:05, I got stuck at work. Definitely NOT part of my plan. Thirty minutes later, I was able to leave, but I realized I had left my half of the water bill payment at the apartment and had to swing home before the village building closed at six. I ran upstairs, grabbed my check and flew back to my car. The time on my clock when I pulled into the parking lot? 5:58. Sprinting into the building, I rambled to the poor lady behind the counter about leaving things to the last minute, thrust the checks in her face and launched myself outside and into my car.

Finally, finally, I made it to the nearby nature preserve. As I pulled into the parking circle I practically jumped out of the car before I killed the engine, loaded my arms with blankets, grapes and my Bible and set off at a record breaking speed walk. As I started into the woods, I imagined him there at the bluff, waiting for me. Patiently. Laughing at how he knew I wouldn’t be there on time but loving me anyway. At least one of us could find some humor in the situation. This evening was NOT turning out as I planned. I was so looking forward to this, excited to clear my head and stare up at the sky and nestle in his calming arms. Instead, I was running around breathless, head so cluttered I was amazed I actually remembered to not lock my keys in the car, all the while the sun slide down the horizon. Soon, I knew, we’d be covered in darkness and autumn’s chill would venture outside to fill the night.

As I hurried up the path speckled with woodchips and leaves, anticipation bubbled inside me. In a few short steps, the path would curve and there he’d be, watching for me. I eagerly pushed on, and when I lifted my head, there he was. A smile painted itself on my face; he was wearing blue, my favorite color.

I strode to the edge of the bluff and just gazed upon him- so immense, deep and powerful. His hands dipped into Lake Michigan and stirred the currents, voice echoing through the waters. Eyes shining like the moon above, the faintest twinkling of stars adorned my own as He greeted me with the sweetest silhouettes of birch tree shadows. His presence immediately flushed out the frenzy inside and filled me with serene silence.

Irrevocably, He is mine. He is my Beloved. Yes, the Lord delights in me. For all His jaw dropping beauty of the lake and twilight twirling sky, He waited patiently for me to join Him, so we could bask in one another and bathe in the smooth, calming waves lapping gently at the shore below.

He is doing the same with you. He stands, waiting, watching you hurry and forget your way and lose track of the time. For every frustration prying itself to the surface, His steadfast love is circling above you, guiding you down the stumble-strewn path you walk, until around the bend you see Him, arms outstretched to take your hand in His own and start the most adventurous romance possible. You’re almost at the clearing, almost through the forest of isolation, sun dripping between the few branches left that keep you from His crystalline, star studded sky. Keep walking. He is watching for you, waiting to woo you with an overwhelming love.


Prayer:
Beautiful Lover of my heart, countless times You wait for me, watch me run through life rushed and confused. But the tighter I wrap myself in seclusion, the wider You spread your blanket of compassion, eager to take my haggard heart and instill Your comfort. I thank You that You stand before me, serenading me with an uncompromising and unyielding love, if only I will cling to Your voice. Please, remind me of Your power, but also of Your soothing arms around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment