Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and follow Me.

-Song of Songs 2:10














Monday, August 1, 2011

What I've Been Missing




May Your unfailing love be my comfort, according to Your promise to Your servant.
-Psalm 119:76



It’s You I’ve been missing.

I have been wanting someone to want me, care for me, love me and see me as special, and all along it has been You singing these words straight back to me.

You have been patient, endlessly patient. My mind has strayed too many times on names that never last. Though through my wandering, You’ve whispered to me a name. A Name above all names, a beautiful symphony I’d turned down the volume to.

I’ve been out of focus, focusing on someone to fill the longing in my heart that brings refreshment for a moment but never fully satisfies.

I am weak. I don’t know which crumbles quicker, my head or my heart. I am wrapped in flesh and fueled by the desire to be desired.

Yet here You’ve been, breathing on my face a promising fragrance that blooms inside my soul. You long for me to release my hopes and delicately place them in Your hands. Like a lover who has bolted out of fear, my feet have carried me far from You. Yet You pursue me through the valley and into a thicket of thoughtlessness. You untangle me from the thorns I’ve lodged into my skin and sweep up the strength dangling by the last chord of stubbornness hanging inside so I fall soundly in Your embrace.

You carry me back to where You reside, a fortress built with sturdy promises. And as I drift into a serene slumber, You brush away the dust in my heart and press Your palm into the softened space. Your imprint entwines inside me, and I gladly bear the brand of One who loves me with an all-consuming blaze.


Prayer:
Lord, You have been the missing piece to my puzzle. There is a hole in my heart that only You can fill. Please, come and consume me. Set me ablaze in Your love and surround me with the promise that You will never let me go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment